There's just something tranquil about driving our 2022 BMW M850i Convertible rental. The glassy Barcelona Blue body reflects clouds as it zips down breezy coastal highways and neon-drenched boulevards. Like early-morning fog, it floats over potholes, speed bumps and rough construction zones. With the top down, there's nothing between you, the open road and a care-free joyride.
All romantic musing aside, this four-seat luxury car rental is an all-around stunner. It's smooth, fast and more than a little luxurious. Don't believe us? Here are the stats to back up our BMW fan-boy fawning.
Classic BMW Looks and a Versatile Drivetrain
This BMW 8 Series rental has the rounded hood, angular headlights and tightlipped grill that give Beamers their almost shark-like appearance. Its low stance and sporty side vents complete that classic picture of aerodynamic bliss.
But what sets this BMW apart from other sports car rentals is its well-rounded drivetrain. It comes with:
- Standard all-wheel drive
- A 523-horsepower twin-turbo V8 engine — a configuration that has gotten up to 26 mpg in road tests and keeps it speedy topping out at 155 mph
- Nimble multi-link suspensions in the front and rear
- A silky-smooth automatic 8-speed transmission that can rumble along in low gear or race to the top. There's even a manual setting for the old schoolers out there.
A flashy, explosive little bottle rocket has its place, but if you're going to be on the road for more than a day or two, the M850i is what you want. If you'd rather have that bottle rocket, though, check out our BMW M8 rental with a slightly faster engine that just begs to be put through the paces.
Inside, This Sporty Little Convertible Is All About You
If you're getting a sports car rental (specifically a convertible BMW rental), you probably have the perfect playlist ready. Your bags are packed and the GPS is set to adventure. The 2022 BMW M850i gets you in a free-wheeling state of mind with:
- 14-way adjustable heated front seats
- Two small seats in the back
- A 10.3-inch touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay, WiFi hotspot capability and wireless charging pads
- 12.4 cubic feet of storage. Car and Driver testers fit four carry-on bags in the trunk and five more in the back with the two back seats down.
All you need is your shades and a partner. Or, you could enjoy a peaceful drive into the sunset all by yourself. Either way, you'll have more fun on the highway than anyone in a 100-mile radius.